Tan'si ?ëdlánët'ë Welcome
Cross-Cultural Science & Technology
Units (CCSTU) Project
To make Western science and engineering accessible to Aboriginal
students in ways that nurture their own cultural identities; that is, so students
are not expected to set aside their culture's view of the material world when
they study science at school.
- To produce teaching materials and instruction/assessment methods that:
- exemplify cross-cultural teaching for Aboriginal students in grades
- engage students in both Aboriginal and Western sciences and technologies.
- To develop a process for reformulating teaching materials and instruction/assessment
methods taken from other places, so that they are culturally sensitive and
responsive to an individual community. This process involves people in the
community working collaboratively with science teachers.
- To inspire others to continue this work. We're going to write a teacher's
guide for cross-cultural science teaching, and we're going to relate stories
of how we made the reformulating process happen.