Academic Advising

What is it?

Academic advisors in the College of Education are here to help prospective and current Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) students with questions about admission, registration, course selection, program planning, learning communities, degree completion, scholarships and bursaries, and more!

We’re here to help you determine the best path to degree completion and support you on your journey through the program.

If you have an NSID and password, you may book an appointment online.

Advising appointments will continue by phone or email, but we will be suspending face-to-face appointments at this time.  Drop-in advising on Fridays has been suspended until further notice. Individuals are still asked to make appointments by telephone or through the online sign-up above.


Bachelor of Education Program Routes


Information on the Bachelor of Education Degree and the various program routes is available on

The most common program routes are the four-year Bachelor of Education degree programs at the Elementary/Middles Years and Secondary levels. 

1. Visit the Course and Program Catalogue for the Bachelor of Education program requirements. 

2. Explore the level that interests you:

Select Early/Middle Years Program Requirements for a program that focuses on teaching pre-Kindergarten to Grade 8.

Select Secondary Program Requirements for a program that focuses on teaching Grades 9 to 12.

3. View Years 1 and 2 (60 credit units) for a list of courses typically completed during years 1 and 2.

4. As part of the B.Ed. program, students select two teaching areas. Program requirements will vary and are determined, in part, by the two teaching areas you choose. Select “Teaching Area 1” or “Teaching Area 2” for details on the various teaching area options.

Teaching Areas

Teacher candidates are required to complete a specific number of credit units in at least two teaching areas that are aligned with Saskatchewan K-12 curriculum areas. Teaching Areas must be chosen from a defined set of subjects and courses, approved by both the College of Education and the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board (SPTRB).

Your Teaching Areas will determine your course selection and your progress through the Bachelor of Education program.

Teaching Areas 1 and 2 are often thought of as a major and minor for your degree program.

Early/Middle Years
  • Teaching Area 1 – 18 credit units
  • Teaching Area 2 – 12 credit units
  • Teaching Area 1 – 24 credit units
  • Teaching Area 2 – 15 credit units

Program planning sheets are available to help you determine the course requirements you have completed as well as the requirements that are still outstanding for the Bachelor of Education degree program.

Once you have reviewed the program requirement information and program planning sheets, you are encouraged to contact an academic advisor in the College of Education with any questions you may have.

Current U of S students with access to PAWS are encouraged to use DegreeWorks.

To access DegreeWorks:

  • Log into PAWS with your NSID and password;
  • Click the Academics tab;
    • Locate the My Academic Profile channel;
    • Click the green “Map Your Degree Progress DegreeWorks” button.

DegreeWorks What-If Option: The “What-If” Option is available to show you the different options for changes to your program, degree, major (Teaching Area 1) or minor (Teaching Area 2). Here are some guidelines to help you use the “What-If” Function:

  • Select the “What If” tab on the left-hand side of the DegreeWorks page
  • Choose:
    • Level: Undergraduate Level
    • Degree: Bachelor of Education
    • Academic Year: Choose the year in which you were admitted
    • Program: Choose
      • BED – Early/Middle Years
      • BED – Secondary
    • Major: (Choose from list)
    • Minor: (Choose from list)
    • College: Education
    • Click the “Process What-If” Button at the top of the page

Meeting an Advisor

Monday to Friday

8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon and 1:00 – 4:30 p.m.

Contact Us

Tel: (306) 966-7654
Fax: (306) 966-7644


Visit Us

Undergraduate Programs Office
College of Education
3350 Education Building
28 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK, S7N 0X1

The College of Education building is currently closed. Drop-in advising on Fridays has been suspended until further notice. Please make an appointment using the online sign-up above.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree program is 120 credit units.  Typically, the B.Ed. program can be completed in four years.  Students with previous coursework who have completed some of the B.Ed. program requirements in other colleges or at other institutions may be considered upper year transfer students and, as such, may not take a full four years to complete the program.

Two deficiencies among the required high school classes are permitted but must be cleared prior to entering second year of study. Transfer students (with 18 transferable credit units) do not need to meet the high school pre-requisite requirements.

The two-year Sequential program will no longer be offered.  The last year students were admitted to the Sequential program was 2017-2018.

The Bachelor of Education – Sequential Music and the Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and Bachelor of Education Combined Programs are still offered.

Information on searching for classes, registering and making changes, and registration deadlines is available on the Classes and Registration page.

To get permission to register for a class that is already full, you must complete the Class Permit/Override form. You will need permission of the instructor and the department head to get a class limit override. 

The Student Affairs and Academic Standards Committee in the College of Education considers special requests made by students.  

There are two certificate programs offered by the College of Education that may be taken concurrently with the Bachelor of Education program: the Practical and Applied Arts Certificate and the Indigenous Languages Certificate.  A separate application is required for the certificate programs.

Additional certificate programs are available for Bachelor of Education graduates.  

Students planning to pursue a degree from the College of Arts and Science are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor in Arts and Science to discuss options for a second degree.

Other Helpful Resources