Frequently Asked Questions

If you don't see your question or answer here, contact

The M.SoTL program begins each year in September.  Students can start in the Graduate Certificate program in September or January.

You do not need to have a background in Education to complete a graduate program in Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, your background can come from any discipline. You need to have a four-year bachelor's degree and teaching experience or equivalent experience in a non-formal or training environment.  Refer to the admission requirements for more details.

If you did not complete at least three years of full-time study at a fully english speaking institution then you will be required to provide a language test.  Refer to the English language proficiency requirements for more details.  Once you have applied and provided all the required supplementary documents we will be able to confirm if a language proficiency test is required.

No.  You can start in the thesis program and within the first year you will work with the Director to identify a potential supervisor.

In some cases students are not able to provide two academic references.  In this instance you can provide one academic reference and two professional references.  The academic reference needs to be someone who can speak to your potential abilities as a student.

The program can be completed 100% online, or a student can choose to take some on campus electives.  All the SoTL courses are online.

You can complete the graduate certificate in as little as two terms (fall and winter) or you can take one course per term and complete it over four terms.

The masters program can be completed in two years full-time or three years part-time.

Yes.  You can apply and start in the graduate certificate program and after at least two courses you can request to transfer to the master's program (with an overall GPA of 70%).

Yes.  We invite all graduate students to contact our office,, to find out how they can register and complete a SoTL course as an elective in their current graduate program.

Students will complete 12cu for the graduate certificate program.

The masters program requires completion of 21cu of coursework plus completion of the thesis.